Saturday, June 12, 2010

How LUG Re-Initiated In JAMIA MILLIA ISLAMIA

First of all, I want to thank you that you are reading a story of a normal engineer. But anyway let me come to my main motive which forced me to write this blog.
I am student of Computer 3rd Year in Jamia Millia Islamia(A central University).One day I saw a poster in my college that seem to be normal but I didn't know what attracted me towards that poster, may be that small penguin :-D .
That poster belongs to LUG@IITD with something written on it.
“There is a workshop on LINUX”, at that time I was in 2nd semester of B.tech. I knew only this word- LINUX, nothing else. Do you think if I attended that workshop or not? Guess what, will be my answer? :-) Well, Yes I did attend that workshop with one of my friend, Vivek.
After 4th Semester, I realized what actually this penguin is. This changed my life completely. Earlier I used to waste a lot of time in searching best security for my PC. But after using Linux I got rid of many of my problems and finally could fix most of them on my own.
After a long period of time, LUG@IITD conducted a workshop again in August 2009 “Linux Kick Start Camp”. You know, I am happy because I want to gain something extra other than the curriculum or syllabus because we engineer complete our Syllabus with the help ROCKET theory so it’s not a better way to learn or gain.
Therein (workshop) I learnt a lot, and also made a few contacts with people who believe in helping others, think in a different way, and try to do different things which are indeed impressive. There for the first time I met a person who really is a genius and also a nice person, Narendra Sir (Narendra Sisodiya ). After that workshop I used to talk to Narendra sir about my doubts of application or regarding other Operating systems. One day when I was talking to him, an idea struck my mind. ‘Why can't there be a group of LINUX or LUG in my college too?’
Same time i said to Narendra Sir whether i can start such kind of LUG or group in our college . He replied me “ why not , if you people need any help i will help you . Regarding any permission from HOD or any other kind of Help You can ask me for that .”
He suggested me to make a group of 5 to 6 people and do meetings and plan for that . But actually nothing happened so faster :-) i selected 6 peoples from my class but and told them about my idea , all were ready to help me but the problem is that no one having so much time . One of my friend suggest me to talk to one of our faculty professor . We decided to talk with them but after our semester final exams . After some days i contacted those guys whom i selected for this they are busy with there work :-) finally i myself meet with Mr.Tanvir Sir and told them about my idea . He asked me to write a proposal so that he can understand about my plan . I am happy that time because a spark of hope i can see that time . Any way i made a proposal in which i made a change i want to start a LINUX USER CLUB in Jamia Millia Islamia . e.g. LUC@JAMIA . I think on 24th December i had a telephonic conversation with my faculty professor Tanvir Sir he said OKEY you can start such kind of activity department having no problem with that . I meet with Tanvir sir in college and given him 2 pages on which i written i my idea , Future Plan, advantages, etc . He suggested me to start this under CSI . I having no problem with that actually i really want make my imagination in truth :-) .

Now the beginning of another New Year 2010 . All the geeks of mailing list decided to have a Geek Meet in the new year we had a meeting in IIT on 2nd January . That was a chilled evening :-) due to winter uffff my god but my energy became double because first time i am going in such kind meeting . There we talked on different agenda and decided to have workshop on 3rd week of January , I decided final date of 23rd January .

This way i conducted my first workshop on Linux and Free Open Source software . One of my friend Chitra Belwal helped in making posters as i having no fund that time i spend my own money and she made 2 beautiful handmade poster for that workshop. Also all my friends who attended this workshop . I can't give all the details i will tell you briefly that approximately 50+ students attended this workshop . Also i got many appreciation from Tanvir sir , CSI Chairperson and From my friends for that . Form Details of this workshop u can visit our site :- www.jmilug.org .

Now when i posted details of my activities and all my idea i myself got many contacts of different engineers from all over the world . Many of them sent me mail and personally contacted me . Also i planned my next workshop in last week of March e.g Linux Install Mela -2010 . Let me tell you one thing due to my polite nature and my idea all helped me a lot in conducting these workshops . Whenever someone helped me my energy to do that work became doubled then before and my will power get increased .

We had our next workshop but not get too much response from the juniors . But that made my mind think in a different way such that how can i make workshop interesting :-) . In that workshop we had 4 or 5 students from 1st year that made me happy .

Few days ago i am talking with one of my senior Sawood Alam persently he is in verginia USA in Old Dominion University . He suggested me to Re-Register the domain of www.jmilug.org e.g. JMILUG . Linux User Group . Then i started thinking of this when i told narendra sir he told that its a nice idea he will help in that . In the meantime i also contacted by one of my senior and alumni of JMI his name is Saleem Ansari . Actually this JMILUG is incomplete by his name because in 2005 he was the 1st person who started LUG in JMI but everything got passive due to few students are interested in continuing this group . So everything closed in 2007 . By him i came to know more about the past JMILUG for reading that you can see history of JMILUG on our website www.jmilug.org .

Presently me and my friend Vivek Gupta working on the website of JMILUG.


Written By :-
Sheel Sindhu Manohar
BTech Computer Engg. 3rd Year
(www.roboture.in)


Special Thanks to:-

Tanvir Ahmed
Asst. Professor
Department of Engg & Technology
Faculty of Engg. And Technology
Jamia Millia Islamia

Speakers:-
Narendra Sisodiya (LUG@IITD )
Gaurav Paliwal (USIT from IPU)

Website Designing:-
Sheel Sindhu Manohar

Editing:-
Anurag Kumar, Chitra Belwal , Shivani Karol , Yash Dhingra

Speakers of 2nd Workshop:-
Biplob Biswas , Chirag Gupta , Ankit Gupta , Sheel Sindhu Manohar

Important links:-

Delhi Geek Meetup :-
http://blog.narendrasisodiya.com/2010/01/lugiitd-delhi-geek-meetup-pics-dgm1.html

1st Workshop in Jamia Millia Islamia:-
http://www.lug-iitd.org/Workshop_In_JAMIA_MILLIA_ISLAMIA

Website:-
www.jmilug.org

Mail Us Your Views:-
jmilug@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment